Are you engaged in a desk job? Then you must be aware of the fact that those who are very committed to their work, and spend hours and hours in front of computer, they tend to gain weight very quickly. That is a disadvantage of being a dedicated employee! Not only are you coping with the stress and burden of work, but are also forced to face the consequences of inactivity, showing up in the form of increased waist size. You can’t afford to spend time in gym from 9 to 5, and once you have gone through a stressful job of 15 hours or more, you won’t even want to think about driving to gym and get some extra fatigue. Most of you wouldn’t be aware that staying inactive for four hours can have serious repercussions on your metabolic rate. Even a walk for half an hour or exhaustive exercise for an hour can’t be enough to get rid of repercussions caused by inactivity of the remaining long day. Then what is the solution? How can you improve your metabolic rate from 9 to 5 when you are engaged in your job? The answer to this question is that you need to exercise while sitting at your computer. Exert yourself physically to avoid gaining pounds. I am going to tell you some very easy ways by which you can ensure that your metabolism rate doesn’t drop to dangerous level while you sit in front of computer. Doing exercise while sitting at your computer would not take much of your time, and after all, spending a few minutes to avoid metabolic problems of life time if not a bad deal at all.
How to Exercise While Sitting at Your Computer?
You would be alarmed to know the fact that sitting inactively at your desk for 23 hours a week increases the risk of cardiac disorders as compared to those spending 11 hours a week in front of computer. Avoid this risk by adopting following simple exercise while sitting at your computer
Stretch Your Body:
- Rotate your neck to allow its every muscle to stretch
- Put your hands in front of you, make a grip and stretch
- Continue doing this step but this time by putting both hands behind your back.
- Rotate the shoulders forward and backward
- Make a fist and then rotate both your wrists.
- Rotate your ankles now, first clock wise, and then anti clockwise.
- Are you feeling virtuous? Then move on to next exercise;
- It is time to pull your back to which you are glued since hours.
- Stand in front of the computer with your chair pushed away as much as a feet.
- Your feet should be apart, in alignment with your shoulders.
- Now put your hands parallel to floor,
- Take a deep breath in this position and suck your stomach inwards,
- Rise slowly on your heels while breathing
- Squat towards the chair while bending your knees a bit
- Stop when you are about to sit on the chair
- Keep holding for 10 seconds and allow your hamstrings to contract.
- Now stand back while exhaling your breath.
- You should repeat it in the form of at least 2 sets of 12 reps.
- Again go back to standing position with feet in alignment to shoulders.
- Take deep breath with your back completely straight
- Let your shoulders relax a bit while you bend a bit forward
- Contract the muscles of abdomen while completely exhaling
- Repeat it rapidly and intensely and you would be pleased to have flat abs soon.
- Repeat it in 3 sets with 15 reps.
Tip: the above mentioned standing crunches can be made even more effective if you hold two water bottles in your hands and then putting your hands on your sides, hold the bottles parallel to the ground. Whenever inhaling, bring your hands in front of your body and every time you inhale, take them back to the previous position. If possible, add another extra set.
Desk Push Ups
While placing your hands on desk’s edge, drag your feet away from the desk to come in a position that you lean on the edge without falling on floor.
- With bent elbows, come in a slanting position with your chin in alignment to the edge of the desk.
- Push up your body by straightening your elbows and exhaling your breath.
- Then come down again towards the desk while inhaling.
- Repeat this process without letting your knees or back to bend.
- Repeat in 3 sets of 12 reps.
Bonus Tips for Keeping Metabolism Rate Up
In addition to exercise while sitting at your computer, following tips can help you avoid fats;
- Walk for 10 minutes after lunch and an evening snack.
- Drink at least two bottles of water from 9 to 5
- Every two hours, eat some snacks which are low in fat, like buts and fruits.
- Don’t send mails and memos to the colleagues; rather prefer to walk to them.
- Prefer stairs on lift
- Either take a light meal or three small meals
- Chat with a colleague on the next floor
- Fetch water from water cooler
- If possible, try some yoga postures at your desk.
Caution: do not exercise till 30 minutes after taking a meal.
By doing exercise while sitting at your computer, you would be able to keep your metabolism rate up and hence avoid any disorders due to extended inactivity. It would prevent you from becoming lethargic and in the long run you would be able to stay away from obesity, diabetes, cardiac disorders and other malfunctions. If possible, also do gym for some time, but keep on doing these desk exercises alongside.